Friday, November 5, 2010

Vaccine Rate Falls Among the Educated - Irrational! Otherwise Smart People Listen to Jenny McCarthy?

"Kids' vaccination rate dropping among higher-income families



Wed, Nov 3, 2010 (HealthDay News) — Vaccination rates for children insured by commercial plans dropped almost four percentage points between 2008 and 2009, even though the rate of children on Medicaid getting vaccinated is rising."
I can't take this anymore. I recently spoke with a friend who has more than one Master's degree. She told me that the decision to vaccinate was "so hard on all of us new moms."
Not able to restrain my Spock-like rational brain, I replied, "No, it isn't."
The study that linked Autism and bowel problems associated with MMR had 12, count 'em 12 children in it. The children were chosen because they were suing the vaccine maker. 
So this year, my home state, California, has had more cases of Measles than it's had in the past decade by June. 
That's unacceptable. People are behaving irrationally DESPITE being educated about statistics and logic. I recently survived a "flame war" with a well meaning moron on babycenter.com's community who called me a "pharma troll" for stating that vaccines don't CAUSE Autism.  She said that I was being disrespectful of other people's beliefs and opinions. Well, that's just the thing, this isn't a matter of opinion or belief - it's factual information. Babycenter describes the "vaccine controversy"http://www.babycenter.com/0_vaccines-and-autism-separating-fact-from-fiction_1470554.bc. What controversy? Vaccines are a great success for public health.  Even that statistic abusing Dr. Sears (who is largely to blame for half of this insanity) says things like the side effects of the MMR vaccine are akin to having the diseases. WHAT? PEOPLE die from measles. They don't get measles from the shot nor does a cranky baby for one or two days resemble anything like a full blown case of measles. Enough is enough. 


12 kids does not a sample make. 12 kids that were in a lawsuit even worse. Jenny McCarthy still famous, time to start testing people for common sense...

7 comments:

  1. Stat abuse is an all too common and tragic thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. @jeannieandB-love:
    I started this blog because I feel that we are being bombarded with poorly reported information. As if mothers today (and always probably) didn't have enough to worry about just making sure their children get through the day without being scared to death about non-issues. Feel free to pass my blog along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am adding your blog to my reader! I love your take on the media. :) You may want to give folks a link to http://factsnotfantasy.com/vaccines.php for a resource on debunking the many lies told by the pro-disease loons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said it before and I'll say it again; if I want to learn how to deep throat 3 bananas at once while hopping up and down, I'll go see Jenny Mc Carthy.

    If I want actual science, I'll go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Darwy, That mental picture is fabulous. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Tweet